Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Who wants my kid!!

Looking for childcare sucks. Especially part-time childcare for the under-2 set. I’m a working mom. Now that Mason is crawling & getting into everything, I can’t take him to work with me all day. Mason doesn’t tolerate long phone calls, he gets annoyed when I’m working on the computer. He’s even been known to rip the mouse out of my hand and bite it with all 4 teeth.
  Sure, I could probably find a job in the evenings and on weekends. Except that I have this thing called a husband & he occasionally likes to spend time with me when he has a night off. Exchanging text messages over the baby’s head as he flings peas from the high chair doesn’t exactly count as quality time, you know what I’m saying?
For the past 4 months, I’ve had Kassidy watch Mason & that’s been great, but she’s starting school Monday so I’ve been on the look out for a new sitter. I’ve asked at church, friends, asked friends of friends and sisters of neighbors, online…The result? Nada.
People either want more money or more hours. Finally I called a childcare locator service, they dug around in their database and gave me some numbers for in-home day care centers. I called them all. They either didn’t have any openings for infants or weren’t accepting part-timers. A couple said they might have openings in October…I need one now!
I don’t need an early-childhood education major. I don’t care if the sitter engages Mason in “age-appropriate” activities or teaches him sign language. I just need someone to chase him around the house, stop him from eating pennies he finds on the floor & just keep him alive until I’ve done a couple hours of work.

TIP O’ THE WEEK: Become independently wealthy.


Look at this kid...how could you say no?!