Friday, June 3, 2011

LeSSoN LeaRNeD LaST NiGHT...

With the economy being as wonky as it has been lately, I often find myself wondering how everyone else makes it. I’m going to be honest here, as it’s certainly nothing to be ashamed of… we are on a very strict budget and I have had to majorly cut back on spending. Pretty much every unnecessary thing (my beloved pedicures, tanning, hair touch-ups every 6 weeks, clothes shopping, etc.) has been put on pause.

We’ve come up with little tricks to save money and I’m actually really proud of how well we’re doing. It’s pretty insane when you have to be thrifty… you realize how much money you were just throwing away without realizing it!
Though I do strongly feel someone should give me a gold star for all my hard work, the one thing I haven’t quite nailed down in the money saving department is grocery shopping. It is the bane of my existence, and quite honestly makes me want to stab myself in the eyes. I seriously hate it.
No matter how much planning, list-making, and leftover-eating I do… I still feel like we waste so much of what we buy.

The one big lesson I’ve learned is this: Do NOT shop while you’re hungry. I’ve made this mistake so many times and it’s left me with the most random array of items in my fridge that I can’t cook any meal with. I need to get this down!